Clutter Control Triage Questions
Clutter, paper piles, filled closets, sheds, garages, filing cabinets,
etc., all can be overwhelming. Where does one start?
Start anywhere – and apply the following triage questions to each item,
paper, piece of clothing, etc. Get ruthless and be consistent! I give
you permission to throw things away!
- WHAT IS THIS? If you can’t identify
it – why are you keeping it?
- Do I really need or want this? Why?
- When was the last time I used it?
- Will I ever use it again? When? Where?
- Where will I put it to remember
I have it? If you can’t find it – you don’t have it!
- Is it timely
- What is the WORST thing that could happen if I didn't
- Can I give it away and will they want it?
No excuses such as:
- "I might need it Someday!”
There are no “Somedays”
on any calendar ever made!
- “I’m afraid to throw it out – it must belong
If you have not identified that “something” by now,
you probably no longer own that
“something” it originally belonged to!
If necessary, create a small
box entitled “UO's” for Unidentified Objects – and if at the end
of your organizing project you still have items in
this category – it’s time to let them go!